Saturday, January 10, 2009

Time And School...

It hasn’t been long since I went up north to register for service. I was thrilled because of the added value of ‘the prelude to the unknown’ but I was also a bit skeptical because the data my narrow mind had on the people of Northern Ghana was not encouraging either. (By the way, most northerners are wonderful people, they are exceptionally hospitable.)

My meeting with the principal of St. Joseph Technical Institute, Saboba where I was to teach went well. We agreed on English Language or Social Studies as the subject to teach when the time comes. I came out of his office and looked unto the compound as the students wandered to and fro with most of them throwing about a ‘good morning sir’, or a ‘good day sir’ (some time sake of the tie) I was mighty pleased with myself seeing as sir, in our parts is a huge sign of respect. Enjoying my few minutes of glory, I got lost in thoughts.

I was in class one, seated near one of the four huge round tables. I was busily talking when out of the blue, I was pulled by my ear by Mrs. Dugbatey, when I was close enough she gave me a most painful knock. One that reminded me I was supposed to be coloring just like anybody else. That was a lesson learned. Then there was the squad of defending champions in class two (yen nkyele), no matter how many times and hours Mrs. Atiamoh locked us up after school, we still managed to climb over the door and were careful enough to check our necks when coming down. Mr. Asante, though very wobbly was very firm, one time I stole my sitting mate's book and canceled her name. When she reported me to Mr. Asante I knew I would be let off the hook until I saw him pull out his high density contacts, then I knew I was in trouble. I didn’t know how he did it but my old man read the name aloud and gave me such a sound beating that ‘thou shall not steal’, all of sudden made perfect sense.

There was this one time in Class four when Kwaku Owusu and I caught a bat and brought it to class to scare the girls to prove our manhood. Clearly the nocturnal bird was helpless in the face of daylight but most of our classmates didn’t know that and right there was our window, ignorance. I earned the name ‘Obonsam Fireman’ in class five as my reputation reached new heights. My turning point was in class six when Mr. Ahmed used ‘his ways’ to stamp out my chaotic nature. I had heard earlier that he had a 100% success rate with people like me, boy were they right! There was Ms Addy, Owura Asiedu, Mr. Homia and many others I consider unsung heroes.

In my reflections I discovered the impact these notable people had on me and even as I stand on this compound, though I am inexperienced, though I am no Professor, in my own small way, I believe I can help shape a mind today hoping that, one day when he has the opportunity to help others, he won’t back down, he will go ahead and help, and maybe, just maybe commit to memory his teachers of old, like I have mine.. Sir huh? It’s a funny thing you know…

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you, my brother. I have teachers who made me the person am today.Teachers who refused to give up on me even when I had given up on myself. I wish I could teach,just to give something back but I'm not sure I can teach the conventional way.But I fully intend to find my own way.I hope you enjoyed every second of it.Not all of us are so fortunate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did Kikelomo, I am glad I contributed my quota. In truth, Ghana could do with many unconvential tutors. God knows we hv too many of the traditional ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Big ups to those days. The experience I must stay has made me who i am today. My own thoughts and contributions migjt be longer the write Up. Cheers to long life and beautiful days ahead together

    ReplyDelete